Firdous A. Khanday,
School of Biological Science,
University of Kashmir
PhD:IIT Bombay (Mumbai)
Post-doc fellow:Johns Hopkins Medical Institute Baltimore, USA
Research Assistant Professor Faculty: University of Pittsburgh Medical Centre, USA
Assistant Professor: King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Dhahran, KSA
- To understand the role of protein kinases and oxidant sensory protein p66shc in the pathology of Alzheimer’s disease. The mechanism of Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) production in Alzheimers is a known fact. However the mechanisms involved in reactive oxygen species production are being investigated. Our investigations into understanding these mechanisms led us to conclude that beta amyloid presence activates Mitogen activated protein Kinase Kinase 6 (MKK6) which inturn phosphorylate and activate p66shc. Their activation triggers ROS production and cell death. Further insights into activation of MKK6 by beta amyloid are being pursed.
- Alpha 1 syntrophin is a adaptor protein and is involved in forming dystroglycan complex. Its involvement in linking cytoskeleton to extracellular matrix is well known. We have previously shown its upregulation at protein level in solid breast tumours. We are into understanding its cause and effect in cancers. Preliminary observations indicate it does activate ROS production in cancers.
- Since the role of actin in the assembly of dystroglycan complex is well understood, we are trying to see the effect of actin depolymerising drugs on alpha 1 syntrophin and its effectors. We are also studying the possible effects of other anticancer drugs on alpha1 syntrophin protein and its downstream effects.
- We have observed the upregulation of p66shc and its associate proteins in esophageal cancers. In cell culture we are trying to see the possible effect of anticancer and antioxidant agents on p66shc and its mediated effects which include ROS production and apoptosis.
- Bhat SS, Qurashi A, Khanday FA. ZnO nanostructures based biosensors for cancer and infectious disease applications: Perspectives, prospects and promises. TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry. 2017. 86, 1-13.
- Ansari MLH, Hassan S, Qurashi AH, Khanday FA. Microfluidic-integrated DNA nanobiosensors. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. 85 (2016) 247–260.
- Bhat SS, Parray AA, Mushtaq U, Fazili KM, Khanday FA. Actin depolymerization mediated loss of SNTA1 phosphorylation and Rac1 activity has implications on ROS production, cell migration and apoptosis. Apoptosis. 2016, 21(6):737-48.
- Khan AA, Gani A, Masoodi FA, Amin F, Wani IA, Khanday FA, Gani A. Structural, thermal, functional, antioxidant & antimicrobial properties of β-d-glucan extracted from baker's yeast (Saccharomyces cereviseae)—Effect of γ-irradiation. Carbohydr Polym. 2016 Apr 20;140:442-50.
- Khan AA, Gani A, Shah A, Masoodi FA, Hussain PR, Wani IA, Khanday FA. Effect of γ-irradiation on structural, functional and antioxidant properties of β-glucan extracted from button mushroom (Agaricus bisporus). Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies. 2015. 31, 123-130.
- Bhat SS, Anand D, Khanday FA. P66Shc as a switch in bringing about contrasting responses in cell growth: implications on cell proliferation and apoptosis. Molecular Cancer. 2015. 14:76.
- Nazir SS, Wani MM, Amin A, Khanday FA. Rectal Signet Ring Cell Carcinoma Masquerading as Urinoma: A Case Report Research & Reviews: Journal of Medicine. 2015; 5(3): 12–15p.
- Parray AA, Baba RA, Bhat HF, Wani L, Mokhdomi TA, Mushtaq U, Bhat SS, Kirmani D, Kuchay S, Wani MM and Khanday FA. MKK6 is Upregulated in Human Esophageal, Stomach, and Colon Cancers. Cancer Investigation. 32(8):416-22.
- Mushtaq U, Baba RA, Parray AA, Saleem S, Bhat HF, Manzoor U,Kuchay S, Wani L and Khanday FA. Mitogen activated protein kinase kinase-4 upregulation is a frequent event in Human Stomach and Colon Cancers. Journal of Enzymology and Metabolism. 2014. 1: 1-6
10. Bhat HF, Baba RA, Adams ME, Khanday FA. SNTA1 mediated Rac1 Activation Modulates ROS generation and Migratory potential in Human Breast Cancer Cells. British Journal of Cancer. Jan 16, 2014 (Early Online).
11. Bashir M, Baba RA, Bhat HF, Parray A, Andrabi K and Khanday FA. β- Amyloid evoked apoptotic cell death is mediated through MKK6- p66shc pathway. NeuroMolecular Medicine. Oct 2, 2013(Early Online).
12. Bhat HF, Adams ME, Khanday FA. Syntrophin proteins as Santa Claus: role(s) in cell signal transduction. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2013 Jul;70(14):2533-54.
13. Kirmani D, Bhat HF, Bashir M, Zargar MA, Khanday FA. P66Shc-rac1 pathway-mediated ROS production and cell migration is downregulated by ascorbic acid. J Recept Signal Transduct Res. 2013;33(2):107-13.
14. Bhat MA, Wani SA, Muzafar M, Rather MA, Taku AK, Khandey F. Non-specificity of primers used for PCR based serogrouping of Dichelobacter nodosus and identification of a novel D. nodosus strain. Anaerobe. 2013 Jun;21:58-61. doi: 10.1016/j.anaerobe.2013.03.009. Epub 2013 Mar 29.
15. Baba RA, Bhat HF, Wani LA, Bashir M, Wani MM, Qadri SK, Khanday FA. E3B1/ABI-1 isoforms are downregulated in cancers of human gastrointestinal tract. Disease Markers. 2012;32(4):273-9.
- Bhat HF, Baba RA, Bashir M, Saieed S, Kirmani D, Wani MM, Wani NA , Wani KI, Khanday FA. Alpha-1-Syntrophin protein is differentially expressed in human cancers. Biomarkers. 2011; Feb;16(1):31-6.
- Bashir M, Kirmani D, Bhat HF, Baba RA, Hamza R, Naqash S, Andrabi KI, Zargar MA, Khanday FA. P66shc and its associate targets are upregulated in esophageal cancers. Cell Comm and Signaling 2010;1;8;13.
- Santhanam L, Hyun K L, Victor M, Tahsalee B, Meet P, Sarit B, Sungwoo R, Mirinda A, Kaikobad I , Khanday F, Luigi D C, Daniel N, Joshua M H, David W C, Richard R, Artin S, Dan E B Inducible NO Synthase Dependent S-Nitrosylation and Activation of Arginase1 Contribute to Age-Related Endothelial Dysfunction. Circ Res. 2007; 101(7):692-702.
- Khanday FA, Santhanam L, Kasuno K, Yamamori T, Naqvi A, Dericco J, Bugayenko A, Mattagajasingh I, Disanza A, Scita G, Irani K.Sos-mediated activation of rac1 by p66shc. J Cell Biol. 2006 Mar 13;172(6):817-22.
- Khanday FA, Yamamori T, Mattagajasingh I, Zhang Z, Bugayenko A, Naqvi A, Santhanam L, Nabi N, Kasuno K, Day BW, Irani K. Rac1 leads to phosphorylation-dependent increase in stability of the p66shc adaptor protein: role in Rac1-induced oxidative stress. Mol Biol Cell. 2006 Jan;17(1):122-9.
- Yamamori T, White AR, Mattagajasingh I, Khanday FA, Haile A, Qi B, Jeon BH, Bugayenko A, Kasuno K, Berkowitz DE, Irani K. P66shc regulates endothelial NO production and endothelium-dependent vasorelaxation: implications for age-associated vascular dysfunction. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2005 Dec; 39(6):992-5. Epub 2005 Oct 19.
- Matsushita K, Morrell CN, Mason RJ, Yamakuchi M, Khanday FA, Irani K, Lowenstein CJ. Hydrogen peroxide regulation of endothelial exocytosis by inhibition of N-ethylmaleimide sensitive factor. J Cell Biol. 2005 Jul4;170(1):73-9.
- Yang XP, Irani K, Mattagajasingh S, Dipaula A, Khanday F, Ozaki M, Fox-Talbot K, Baldwin WM 3rd, Becker LC. Signal transducer and activator of transcription 3alpha and specificity protein 1 interact to upregulate intercellular adhesion molecule-1 in ischemic-reperfused myocardium and vascular endothelium. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005 Jul;25(7):1395-400.
- Jeon BH, Gupta G, Park YC, Qi B, Haile A, Khanday FA, Liu YX, Kim JM, Ozaki M, White AR, Berkowitz DE, Irani K. Apurinic/apyrimidinic endonuclease 1 regulates endothelial NO production and vascular tone.
Circ Res. 2004 Oct 29;95(9):902-10.
- Jeon BH, Khanday F, Deshpande S, Haile A, Ozaki M, Irani K. Tie-ing the antiinflammatory effect of angiopoietin-1 to inhibition of NF-kappaB.
Circ Res. 2003 Apr 4;92(6):58.
- Khanday FA, Saha M, Bhat PJ. Molecular characterization of MRG19 of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Implication in the regulation of galactose and nonfermentable carbon source utilization. FEBS Journal. 2002 Dec;269(23):5840-50.
27. Kabir MA, Khanday FA, Mehta DV, Bhat PJ. Multiple copies of MRG19 suppress transcription of the GAL1 promoter in a GAL80-dependent manner in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Gen Genetics. 2000 Jan; 262(6):1113-22.
AWARDS AND HONOUR, S:
- Young Scientists Award (for the year 2010) awarded by Science and Technology Council, Govt. Of Jammu & Kashmir. Award given away by Honr,ble Vice president of India Mr. Mahmood Hamid Ansari.
- Certificate of Merit (Best teacher/researcher) awarded by University of Kashmir for in 2010.
- Innovative Young Biotechnologists Award, for the year 2007, from The Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, and given away by then Honr,ble Union Minister of Earth & Environmental Sciences Dr. Kapil Sibal.
- Earned Grade “Excellent” for teaching masters students at University of Kashmir, based on student response and evaluated by IQUAC of University of Kashmir.
- Holder of Departmental Merit Scholarship, 1995-1997, AMU, Aligarh.
- Editorial Board member and Reviewer on various reputed journals like, The open Biomarkers Journal, Cancer, Journal of cellular biochemistry, Journal of experimental and clinical cancer research, Pharmaceutical Biology etc.
Completed Projects: 07
Ongoing Projects: 02
Present Lab Members:
Arif A. Parray
Past Lab Members :
Muneesa Bashir: Assistant professor, Biotechnology Deptt., Cluster University (Womens College), Kashmir
Deeba Kirmani: Education department, J&K Government.
Hina Bhat: Assistant Professor, Biotechnology Deptt., SKUAST, Kashmir.
Rafia A. Baba: Research Associate, SKIMS, Soura, Sinagar, Kashmir.
Sehar S. Bhat: DST, INSPIR, Fellow.